Languages: English, German
As a side event for GFFA 2019, WFO and FarmFacts GmbH submit to host a presentation of digital solutions and a panel discussion. Starting with an overview of the most promising solutions already on the market, or new applications, which will be put into practice, the panel will explore different perspectives on the opportunities and challenges of digitalisation for young farmers and the contributions of business and indusitry to help farmers work for sustainable food security. The panel will cast light on the needs and expectations of young farmers and shall nurture a dialogue between young farmers leaders, their partners in business and industry,in public policy and academia. Speakers will stand ready to engage with the audience as the panel is thought to be interactive. The discussion group acts from the perspective of a company that has been operating in agricultural digitalisation since 1983.
Our proposed side event seeks to:
• Show the latest trends in digitalisation for farmers
• Facilitate exchange between farmers and partners in government, agricultural business, private sector and academia in order to help build lasting partnerships for sustainable food security
• Promote the exchange of knowledge and best practices on the different ways for farmers to harness the opportunities of the digital age
• Give a platform to farmers to articulate their need, priorities and express their opinions on the matter
• Give a platform to digital companies to explain the chances of digitalisation
• Highlight the ways in which strong global networks can drive progress in rural communities
Following key messages will be discussed:
• Smart farming is ongoing and fully in progress. Therefore satellite remote sensing becomes a pivotal issue within. A prerequisite for success is a functioning, simple infrastructure, which can also be used by farmers in a practical way.
• Digitalization is global in nature – and therefore it is equally available to developed and non-developed countries.
• The aims of young farmers cause regional requirements on global digitalization. Their acceptance depends essential on the regional adaptability in implementation of digital farming.
Introduction (short keynote speech):
Dr. Theo de Jager, President of WFO and Dr. Josef Bosch, Managing Director and Head of FarmFacts Academy
Lectures: Current prospects of digitalisation.
Prof. Dr. Michael Rast, European Space Agency (ESA): „Earth Observation and Copernicus supporting the digital transformation in agriculture“
Dr. Wolfgang Angermair, Managing director, R&D, FarmFacts GmbH: „Decision farming” – present status, challenges and chances from the view of agricultural business“
Panellists will include:
• Mrs. Tamisha Lee, President of Jamaica Network of Rural Women Producers
• Mr. Francesco Longhi, young farmer, ANGA-Confagricoltura, Italy
• Mr. Gunnar Zinkhahn, Managing Director, Product Management and Finance, FarmFacts GmbH
• Mr. Dr. J. (Sjaak) Wolfert, Senior Scientist Information Management and ICT in Agri-Food, Wageningen University & Research, Netherlands
• Representative of „Global Alliance on Greenhouse Gases“, GRA, New Zealand
• Representative of Young Farmers’ Association, UNYFA, Entebbe, Uganda
Dr. Andreas Quiring, Managing Director Andreas Hermes Academy (AHA), Germany
In order to register to the expert panel discussion please use the online registration.
Dr. Andreas Quiring
Managing Director Andreas Hermes Academy (AHA), Germany
Theo De Jager
President of World Farmer’s Organisation
Managing Director, Product Management and Finance, FarmFacts GmbH
President of Jamaica Network of Rural Women Producers
young farmer, ANGA-Confagricoltura, Italy
Dr. J. (Sjaak) Wolfert
Senior Scientist Information Management and ICT in Agri-Food, Wageningen University & Research, Netherlands